NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) — Mosquito spraying is scheduled for New Hanover County the next two nights between 6 and midnight.
The treatments will be administered with truck-mounted equipment to spray open spaces in residential areas, according to New Hanover County.
Kure Beach, Carolina Beach and South 421 will be sprayed on Wednesday, Sept. 7; Southwest 421, Myrtle Grove, Masonboro and Flemington will be sprayed on Thursday, Sept. 8.
The equipment reportedly dispenses Biomist 30 + 30, a permethrin insecticide product, which is designed to provide quick, effective control of adult mosquito populations.
Here are some tips from New Hanover County to eliminate breeding areas:
- Dispose of cans, buckets, plastic containers, ceramic pots or similar containers that hold water on your property.
- Properly dispose of discarded tires that can collect water—stagnate water is where most mosquitoes breed.
- Drill holes in the bottom of outdoor recycling containers.
- Aerate ornamental pools or stock them with fish.
- Clean and chlorinate swimming pools not in use and remove any water that may collect on pool covers.
Below are tips to prevent mosquito bites: